Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The Head Injury that Wasn't

No one ever told me that having children can be hazardous to my health.

Well, that's not fair, I can't blame it on the baby. She can't defend herself. I guess I'll have to claim fault.

Bath time is always a fun event at my house. Let me be clear. Taylor's bath time. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my bath time as well, but this happened at Taylor's bath time.

For her bath, I lie her on a foam thingy in the tub and bend over her to bath her. When she's had enough, I move her to a towel on the floor to dry off. Well, Thursday afternoon we did all that like normal, but with one important difference. I passed out.

I have relatively low blood pressure, so when I stand up too quickly, it can make me dizzy. After bathing Taylor I stood up with her in my arms a bit too quickly, and realized I was about to faint. All I had time to think about was "I'm fainting. Hold Taylor tightly."

So I fell.

Backwards into the tub.

(I thought about reenacting the moment and having Jonathan take a pic, but you'll just have to imagine a picture here.)

I remember falling, and then I opened my eyes and I was sitting in the tub with my legs hanging off the side. Taylor was safely cradled in my arms (another prayer of thanks for her safety) and she began crying because it startled her.

I was shaken up. After calming her down and putting her to bed, I was still "shakin like a polaroid picture". (Ha)

Anyways, lame jokes aside, I am so thankful that Taylor was not harmed. I know she could have bumped her head as well, but thank the Lord, she didn't.

I seemed to be fine as well, besides a headache that wouldn't go away. Lynn talked me into going to the doctor just to make sure I didn't have a concussion. Turns out I may have had a small concussion and slight bruising to the brain. No big deal. The doc just told me to be careful not to bump my head again any time soon. I will do my best to honor his wishes.

Oh and a word of warning. Be careful in the bathtub. It is a dangerous place.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my word, Kristin! How scary! It's amazing that you were able to have your wits about you enough to think about protecting Taylor. Glad to hear you're both ok.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whaaaat?! So glad you're alright, but ohmygoodness, scary!

    What an awesome mom though - thinking of the babe on her way down ;).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scary... So glad you're both okay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes!!! That is scary!
    I have low blood pressure too, but I've never had that problem. Maybe yours is a lot lower than mine... odd!

    I'm so glad everyone is okay!

    ReplyDelete