Saturday, January 22, 2011

Here it Goes.

Well, I decided to bite the bullet and just do it, Nike style...that is, cloth diapering. I wanted to use cloth diapers as soon as Taylor was born, but I was intimidated or maybe lazy, not sure which. And now over 6 months later, I am finally giving it a go.

I researched and researched and researched...

Did you know that there is a whole other language for cloth diapering? All these funny words and phrases and types of diapers. I still don't know the language fully. It's a lot.

So, anyways, I researched to find the right diaper for us.

Also, did you know that cloth diapers are not what they used to be? They have some that are just as easy as regular diapers. It's quite amazing.

I ordered a few different types to try out. So far it's going really well. It's not bad. At all.

I am using BumGenious diapers. I got three kinds.
  • Flip - basically a diaper cover with a pad. She can wear it all day; I just change the pad.
  • All in ones - just like a regular diaper. Except I wash it instead of throw it away.
  • 4.0 - like a regular diaper with a pad. You take the pad out, but still wash whole diaper.
I'm not sure which I like best so far. The flip and 4.0 are adjustable so I can use them as Taylor grows. The all in ones are SUPER easy. The flip are the most inexpensive because you need less of them, but more inserts.

And if I could just brag for a second. Today we had our first poopy in the cloth diaper. Taylor, not me. And you know what I did. I scraped the poopy into the toilet with toilet paper, and then I rinsed it out in the sink. With my bare hands. Ya, that's right. Be jealous.

Baby poop does not phase me anymore.

I am excited about these diapers. Here are my reasons for using them:
  1. They are so soft and comfy on her little hiney.
  2. Better for baby bottoms.
  3. They are cheaper in the long run.
  4. I will be able to use them for the rest of my kids, because they are durable.
  5. Less waste, like trash, not poopy waste.
  6. These bad boys are adjustable. Which means the diapers grow with the child. So cool.
Taylor really wanted to model her new diapers, so here goes.

Front view. Looking good kid, looking good.

A little side action. She's showing off the curves.

Ahh, big booty, big booty, big booty. Ahh ya, big booty.
It does make her hiney bigger, but we've talked about it, and she's okay with it.

Pause, while I kiss that cute belly.

Taylor gives them... two thumbs up. Her hiney gives them... pee and poop.

P.S. That kid is 5th percentile for weight. Really?

4 comments:

  1. this post brings me joy in my bones. she's precious. and i love the idea of cloth diapers, and since i have so very much experience in the mothering-a-baby world, you should trust me. :). and they look precious, to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say, my hat is off to you for doing this! I've thought about it several times, but just didn't ever take the plunge. Now I feel like I'm too far in to make the switch (where it would make sense financially at least). Another plus - they are way cuter on her little bum than the disposables. It's just another fashion accessory!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Lindsay.
    And of course, Taylor is super cute! Love the poses ;).
    She looks like a pretty chunky 5th percentile to me too!!

    ReplyDelete